How do I get started?

For those of us that have never before purchased a suppressor at first the process appears to be overwhelming but is quite simple. All you have to do is get started!  I hope to help you with that.

First we need to decide if it is legal for you to own a silencer.

  • Determine whether or not your state allows you to own a silencer.  Private silencer ownership is currently legal in AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WE, And WY.
  • Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a silencer from a dealer
  • Be at least 18 years of age to purchase a silencer from an individual, trust or corporation. (contingent on state laws).
  • Be at least 18 years of age to possess a silencer as a beneficiary of a trust or as a member of a corporation (contingent on state laws).
  • Be a resident of the United States
  • Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm.
  • You must not have any felony convictions.
  • Be able to pass a NICS background check

Buying your silencer..

  • Find which silencer meets your needs. Select correct thread pitch, color, mount or piston if those options are applicable.
  • Decide how you will register you silencer. You can register the silencer to yourself as an individual or to a trust or corporation.Find a dealer that has the items you want in stock or can readily get them in a timely manner.
  • Make your purchase. Have your dealer submit your form 4 application to the ATF with the appropriate documentation and $200 tax for each item.
  • Pick up your silencer after approval. You can pick you item up directly from the dealer either at their place of business or eligible qualifying event  like a gun show. Your dealer can also ship the silencer directly to you. The shipping option requires an additional step but only adds approximately 14 days to your wait time. Contact your dealer for details.


2. Register the silencer in your own name

Obtain the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) complete the required information on the form, remember to complete all information in duplicate.  Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. Sign and date the back of the form. Again, remember to complete all information in duplicate.

Affix a recent color passport-sized photograph of yourself on the back of each copy of the form.

Acquire a signature of the chief law enforcement officer of your county or your local sheriff. While you are at the station obtaining the required signature, ink up your fingers and get two copies of FBI fingerprint cards (FBI Form FD-258) that you will send in with the two duplicates of Form 4.
Fill out the ATF Form 5330.20 (Certification of Compliance). This form does not have to be in duplicate.

Place both completed copies of Form 4, the two copies of FBI fingerprint cards, and the completed Certification of Compliance form in an envelope, along with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 and mail to the address listed on Form 4.


2. Register the silencer to a trust or corporation

When you register your silencer to a trust or corporation we will handle all the paperwork for you. Simply scan your trust or corporation documents into a PDF file and email them to us at

Once we have your trust or corporate documents we submit your form 4 to the ATF for processing along with your $200 for the tax on each suppressor. No finger prints or CLEO sign off is needed when using your trust or corporation to register NFA items. The ATF does require the NICS background check when completing the form 4473 to transfer the item to the person acting on behalf of the trust or corporation.